Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Unplugged



Where have I been????????????
So, just as I get into this whole blogging thing, my internet goes down. So not what's up for an aspiring social media mogul or whatever you call people who do this kind of thing and actually have people read it. It's really not that bad though, surprisingly. I temporarily let my cellphone go after having the baby to save money since I'm not working. So, the only reliable way to contact me is on our land line (remember those) and veryfew people have that number so I'm pretty much totally "unplugged" for the first time in about 12 years. And you know what? It's pretty peaceful. I can't say that I really missed anything. Well one thing... I missed google. I google everything from the history of the British Monarchy to the name of the supporting actress in that movie I saw that one time when I was 5. There have been so many times over the past few weeks when a question popped into my head and I was powerless to google the answer and I almost when CRAZY!

But other than that, not so bad. I reminds me of back before the entire universe went wireless. When I was in high school no one had cell phones. I actually started high school when the pager was king but you weren't allowed to carry one in school so you had to hide it. We would stay after school for practice or something and everyone just trusted that their parents knew to pick them up at 5. If they were late, we waited... novel idea. Got me thinking that maybe the world wouldn't end if we weren't so constantly globalized.

That being said... even I can only go so long without reaching out to the world so I haven't relocated to a cave in the forest with a typewriter just yet.. I'm still not up and running full time yet but I thought I'd check in with a few quick updates.

What's Been Going On:
1) The kid has been growing. He's sitting up with some help...
Holding his bottle...



Working on his crawling...
Also, so glad I didn't shell out for those expensive baby Einstein toys when all it takes to entertain him is a bag of wipes!



And overall just getting his adorable on...


We took him for his 6-month check up last week and he's 17lb 3oz and 26in (He was born 7 lbs even and 20 in). He seems huge to me but, while we were in the waiting room there was another little boy who was born 3 hours after him and was literally twice his size. I love big fat babies but I'm so thankful mine is a reasonable Medium. It's hard enough lugging him around as it is. 

He's also got his first runny nose but I'll spare you the pictures.

2) I'm shrinking! With the exception of just a little bit of stretchy skin on my tummy I can safely say my figure is back. If that weren't the case then the kid would be in grave danger of being an only child. Actually, I've got a little more than my figure back so I'm still not fitting into my clothes the way I like but I'm thinking that shouldn't be a problem once these mammary glands go back to normal size when the kid is done with them.

3) September 11
I've never fully been able embrace 9/11 as the most tragic day of my year because, long  before it was a national disaster, it was my favorite cousin's birthday. We were raised in the same house for most of our lives so he's more like a brother to me and we were always close because he's less than a year younger than me. Growing up, people thought that he was my brother than that my actually brother was my cousin. He's struggled mental illness since our teenaged years and celebrating his birthday on Sunday really renewed my commitment to praying for him.

4) Puppies, Puppies, Puppies! Bob Barker was right, have your pets spayed and neutered. I've been taking care of 8 German Shepherd mix puppies for the last three months or so. They are getting big and loud and the neighbors probably hate us. We finally started re-homing them today and thankfully, 4 down and 4 to go. So if you know anyone who's looking...




5) I'm trying to exercise my brain more. The inner nerd in my just wont die. So I've been reading a lot more. Right now, I'm making my way through the works of Shakespeare, mainly because it's the only thing in my library I haven't read and I can't afford to buy new books now. What a tragedy... Borders is closing down and I'm flat broke! I'm dying inside. 

Also, because if I ever do go back to school it will be for Computer Science, I've been brushing up on my programming skills with this gem

Just another project to while away the days. We'll see where this goes.

So that's about it for the goings on in Zurilyland. I don't know how regularly I'll be online in the next few weeks but I'll take advantage of the time I do get and try to keep some new contact coming. Until next time, here's a bonus pic: As I was typing the little one fell asleep playing on the floor. This is what I walked in on when I went in to check on him





YOUR TURN:
Caption Contest! Think up your best caption for the picture above.




2 comments:

  1. so much adorable in this post---baby and puppies!

    Yahoo, for being back to pre-baby weight. I just know that won't be a reality when I do have a baby.....which is my worst fear!

    Caption**: "...and last, but not least I pray that mommy stops giving away those little furry, loud things that run around our house. Every time I wake up one is gone and I love them!! -Amen"

    **I'm not very creative***

    ReplyDelete
  2. He could care less about the puppies. The only things that interest him are things that crinkle... hence his adoration for packets of baby wipes.

    I'm all for keeping a puppy. I keep hinting that we should give away the older dogs and keep one of the puppies. I'd feel much better being able to raise him alongside Stephen so that they are both used to each other.

    ReplyDelete