Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Guilty Pleasure: Why I Love Korean Dramas


You know what? Nix that! I'm not even going to call it a guilty pleasure because I don't feel guilty about it. I ain't ashamed! I'll declare it to everyone... I LOVE me some Korean dramas. I think they are the best things ever.

A little background. I first discovered the Korean drama sometime around 2005/2006 when I was going to school in Philly. It's much more fair to say that my roommates discovered them first and managed to suck me in but that's splitting hairs. One of the local access channels had Korean programming every night, which culminated in a 30-minute daily soap opera with English subtitles. The show we got addicted to was called "Bizarre Bunch" and we had never seen anything like it before. Knowing what I know now, it's a pretty formulaic KDrama but for us it was a wonderfully wacky new ride filled with overacting and sappiness and heartwarming good times.

"I don't get it." you say "That doesn't sound all that awesome. What's so great about Korean Dramas?" I'm glad you ask... Allow me to expound:

1) They End
Most Kdramas consist of 16-24 1-hour episodes that air twice a week. Which means each story has to be introduced, developed and wrapped up in 6-12 weeks. You don't have to wait 10 seasons just to find out that Ross and Rachel get together in the end.

2) They Are Clean
Because of Korea's super strict censorship laws, no explicit content can be shown on network TV during the daytime or primetime hours so most of the shows are as chaste as an Amish Prom. The characters rarely even hug or hold hands, let alone anything further (and the shows still have an "Under 15" rating). It's refreshing, given the over-sexualization in the media over here.

3) They Are Predicatble
You would think that would be a negative but that actually makes it interesting. You know how it's gonna end and you even know what many of the major plot points are gonna be, but it's the route they take to get you there that makes it fun. Speaking of which...

4) They Are Fun and Wacky
I don't even know how to explain what makes them so fun. It may be the absurdity of them. They just are. You gotta try it for yourself.

Here's a few suggestions for the Novice Kdrama viewer.
Delightful Girl Choong-hyang- Watch this one first. It's got all of the above elements and is a very prototypical Kdrama
Coffee Prince- Possibly my all time favorite ever. And just a little bit different from your typical drama
Boys Over Flowers- An absolute Hot Mess of a show but a lot of fun if you're new to the kdrama world. Highlights the absurdity I mentioned earlier.
Full House- Very cute. Stars rain,who played Raizo in Ninja Assassin (LOVED that movie!)

 Those should get you started. Fair warning. I love light romantic comedies. They also have their share of epic melodramas, action thrillers, and historical dramas but i don't watch them so I can speak on them.

Here's what I'm watching now
Scent of a Woman- Not a remake of the Pacino classic, though they do reference it.
Myung-Wol the Spy- Very cute and wacky with a unique premise.
Protect the Boss- My favorite show that I'm currently watching. It's soooo funny, mainly because it takes all the "predictable" kdrama cliches and stereotypes and totally turns hem on their head. If you watch this, watch some of the other I've suggested first so that you can fully appreciate what I great job they do with this show.

Oh and here's on of my favorite websites, Dramabeans. They keep me up to date on the latest news and feature some very funny and insightful recaps of several shows.

Happy watching. I hope you enjoy the as much as I do!

YOUR TURN: What's your guilty pleasure?

4 comments:

  1. hahah. I OD'd on these last summer in Korea. Greatness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I found a new pleasure: reading your blog. Even though that makes me feel like such a creeper since I too am just getting into the blogging thing. Zuri, you are hilarious. I wish we didn't live on opposites side of the country because I would come and watch my first Korean drama with you because they sound great. I will just have to try it and let you know how it goes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolynn, if Conference wasn't so far away I would tell you to hold out and I'd inaugurate you personally. Unfortunately, you're going to have to go it alone. Start with one of the ones I mentioned and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete